Friday, May 18, 2012

Paying Debts of Enrichment: Dale Stowell

By: Michael Rivera
Staff Videographer/Contributing Writer

To Stowell, LBCC is more than just a job; its a passionate pursuit to help students succeed.

In December 2011, Dale Stowell was hired to be executive director of the Office of College Advancement LBCC. Stowell’s responsibilities include public relations dealing with students and faculty, a public information officer and helping the college fundraising movements.

“Dale is a very even-natured person; even though he is incredibly busy, he never seems rushed,” says Donna Mainord, systems coordinator for the College Advancement Office.

Recently, Donna was laid off from the Periwinkle Child Development Center. She was kept on the preferred hiring list with the college and was asked to work with Stowell.

“I jumped right on the opportunity. In the 3-4 months I’ve been working with Dale, I’ve learned he is a good listener and asks even better questions,” says Mainord.”

Joe Sherlock, from the Office of Marketing, recalls meeting Dale at several marketing and public relation conferences in Tacoma, WA. After sitting down with him at a lunch break, Sherlock informed Stowell of a job opportunity.

“I had told him my boss was retiring and the college was looking for a replacement. I had no idea he was from the area beforehand. I feel like it is karma that brought him back to LBCC,” says Sherlock, “He’s a smart guy who is good at balancing big ideas with the small ones. That kind of person is hard to find.”

Stowell grew up and graduated high school in Philomath, OR. He came to LBCC, having no idea of how to do college. With the help of Jenny Spiker, a former Journalism advisor, Stowell found his focus, group of friend and network through the Commuter.

Stowell went on to graduate from Portland State University with an English Degree. He, then, headed to work at the Lebanon Express, a place he had interned while at LBCC. He worked there for 8 months as their sports editor before moving to the Albany Democrat-Herald, where he spent another year and a half in sports.

After the Democrat-Herald, Stowell moved to the Woodburn Independent, covering both news and sports. After being there for a year and a half, the editor ended up leaving. Taking over the reigns, Dale says this was his first step toward leadership.

“Even though I was the Editor, I was still writing news stories, columns, taking photos, and doing sports. Back then, it was only a 5 person news team,” says Stowell.

After 4 years of being the editor, Dale felt that the job became repetitive; he developed a feeling of an annual routine, covering the same events. He didn’t feel a passion to become a publisher. Stowell felt like moving into public relations.

“It occurred to me that if I became a PR guy, I could pick what I could do, such as missions or higher education,” says Stowell.

His next stop was the media relations and publication manager at St. Joseph’s Medical Center, where his mission was to help the poor. At the time, the hospital was struggling with funds. He worked on a four page publication of stories and photos for the hospitals marketing. Before his time had expired at St. Joseph, Stowell says that the hospital was generating over a million dollars in support.

“It was a great success, working with Sarah Long, by taking a very systematic approach to the hospitals marketing,” says Stowell.

After St. Joseph, Dale became the communications and media relations manager for a year and a half before stepping into the role of director at Pierce College. This was his longest stint with an organization, working there for 12 years.

“I really enjoyed the people at that college. I felt involved in a movement that helped community colleges. It wasn’t just Pierce, but a state-wide movement.”

After what he calls “philosophical differences” with the chancellor of Pierce College, Dale moved to Tacoma Community College; Pierce’s biggest competitor. He spent 5 years creating a program for media relations and college advancement during a time of historically high enrollment and fundraising.

“The leadership, there, was very open and honest that was very reward-based. Even if you didn’t have good news, you were rewarded for your openness,” says Stowell.

Now with LBCC, Stowell has come back to his home. To him, he credits LBCC to all his successful ventures.

“I was born at the right time. Without LBCC, I wouldn’t have had the option or opportunities to be myself. People here, routinely, saw more in me than I did in myself. I never thought about being leader until I was pushed to,” says Stowell.

Summing up Dale Stowell is hard to do. His peers view him as an intelligent, hard-working man; but that doesn’t define him or his role at LBCC. It is his passion to do so.

“Many people look at debt as a bad thing. Sometimes, there are debts worth having. I feel I owe something to this college. Why? It has filled my life with additional enrichment,” says Stowell.

Stowell and his partner, Liz, have an 18 year old son, Hunter, who will be attending LBCC next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment